11 Amazing Indian Farming Facts Which You Must Know
#1 Myth: Indian agriculture is on a permanent decline
- ✔ India rank 2nd in the world in agriculture production.
- ✔ India’s world rank in services and industry sector is 9th and 5th respectively.
- ✔ Indian agricultural production has increased from 87 USD bn to 394 USD bn in the last 13 years (12.3% annual growth).
- ✔ Globally India ranks 8th for the agricultural exports.
#2 Myth: Indian Agriculture is Food- Grains Centric
- ✔ Indian agriculture is multifaceted, with horticulture and animal husbandry contributing to over 60% of India’s agricultural GDP.
- ✔ India is largest milk producer, 2nd largest in vegetables and fruits, 3rd in fish production, 4th largest in egg and 5th in poultry production in the world.
- ✔ Horticulture and livestock production engage a large share of small and marginal farmers, and thus plays a critical role in the rural economy.
#3 Myth: Declining Size of Indian Farm Land Leads to Low Production
- ✔ China and India with the majority of their small and marginal holding lands are 1st and 2nd in the world agriculture production respectively.
- ✔ The aggregate output/ha/year in small farms is higher on account of multiple cropping intensity, diverse output (crop + livestock) and round the year availability of family labour.
- ✔ Yield per acre per crop is not an effective measure of Indian farm productivity (since Indian agriculture does not follow monoculture like the other western nations).
#4 Myth: Indian Agriculture is Heavily Dependent on Rainfall
- ✔ India agriculture is monsoon resilient thanks to major share of horticulture and livestock production that are round the year activity.
- ✔ Land under irrigation in India is the maximum in the world (96 mn ha).
#5 Myth: Organic Farming Can Drive Sustainability of Indian Agriculture
- ✔ Globally, only 1% of the agricultural land is under organic agriculture.
- ✔ 100% organic farms are not a sustainable model since there is a high requirement of organic manure; whereas productivity is found to be much low.
- ✔ Sikkim which is claimed to be an entirely organic farming state, is heavily dependent on other states to feed its population.
#6 Myth: Organic Food is Chemical free
- ✔ Crop protection chemical residues have been found in vegetables samples of organic produce.
- ✔ The notion of nutritional superiority provided by organic produce is also debatable.
#7 Myth: Crop Protection Chemicals are Used Excessively in India
- ✔ India’s spend on crop protection chemicals is less than 1% of total agriculture production in value term; which is a fraction of global counterparts.
- ✔ As per food samples analyzed by certified labs, 98% of them were found to be compliant within the crop protection chemicals maximum residue limit (MRL).
- ✔ Our food compliance with respect to residues is in line with global standards.
#8 Myth: Crop Protection Chemicals Lead to Severe Imbalance of Aquatic Ecosystem
- ✔ Fish are highly sensitive to water pollutants.
- ✔ India is the 3rd largest fish producer in the world which shows our soil-water ecosystem is not contaminated.
- ✔ Andhra Pradesh and Punjab despite being high users of pesticides, are leaders in fish production.
#9 Myth: Farmer Suicides are Rampant in Indian Agriculture Ecosystem
- ✔ Suicides, whether by farmers or non–farmers deserve attention and understanding.
- ✔ More than 8 lakh people die from suicide in a year in the world (WHO).
- ✔ Suicide rate in Russia is among the highest :- 251% higher than the global average.
- ✔ In India, farmers suicide account for less than 10 % of the total suicide.
#10 Myth: Fruits and Vegetables are Injected with Colouring Chemicals and Animal Hormones
- ✔ Injecting liquid inside harvested fruits and vegetables is not possible at all, as it would lead to altering the internal equilibrium of the fruits and vegetables.
- ✔ The use of oxytocin and animal hormone by Indian farmers in fruit and vegetable production is a rumor.
- ✔ As per the study by CENTEGRO, animal hormones cannot and will not improve the vegetable and fruit size overnight as alleged.